top of page

Historical Information

Arthur's Landing, now Port Arthur. There were few habitations and no ports. The Hudson's Bay Company's post at the Pic persisted at least till 1865, but how much longer its post, or at least a post, lasted there is problematical.

When William Van Horne actually began the Herculean task of building the Canadian Pacific Railroad along the north shore west from Heron Bay, it was necessary to have a dock, to which rails, ties, other supplies, men and provisions could be taken. Peninsula Harbor, because of its great depth and protection from winds was chosen. Remains of the Pier could still be seen when present operations at Marathon were begun. To this pier came the well remembered vessels of many Great Lakes lines, both sailing vessels and steamboats - the Ontario, Ocean, Argyle, Prussia, Kinkadin, E. M. Foster, and many stragglers carrying lumber for bridges and trestles, and rails. Then there were Smith and Mitchell's meat vessels, The Butcher Maid and The Butcher Boy. Captain Nicholson was master of one of them and remembers well how the cattle and other meat on the hoof were carried by vessel to Peninsula, as the C.P.R.'s main camp on the picturesque bay of the same name came to be called. Here the cattle were driven from camp to camp as required. Slaughtering was done at the destination of the individual animal, and carcasses were wrapped in cheesecloth and hung up on neighboring trees till required.

Captain Nicholson also recalls how the natives were always passing to and fro, mainly between Port Arthur and Peninsula. Three gangs, it was commonly reported, were required on the railroad job, "one coming, one going, and one on the job.

Besides the dock there was a warehouse, and soon a railroad station went up at Peninsula. Houses sprang up among the hosts of tents where the business part of Marathon now is. A hotel was erected. A photograph of this motley village of about the year 1885 is still in existence. Twelve thousand men and 1500 horses were employed in constructing "two hundred miles of engineering impossibilities. " as William Van Horne; its indomitable Yankee builder termed his Herculean task.

Van Home chanced to be in Ottawa on a seemingly fruitless task of trying to bolster the dying credit of his undertaking, when the second Riel rebellion began in 1885. He was clever enough to see his chance to get public support of his railroad building. It had taken from March to August of I87O to ferry troops from eastern Canada to Prince Arthur's Landing and Winnipeg in the first Riel Rebellion. Van Home offered to move them this time in eleven days from Ottawa to Fort Qu'Apelle, on two days notice. His offer was accepted.

Then the little Peninsula witnessed an odd sight. Soldiers were brought to the end of the rails in mid-winter weather on Lake Superior. The official report comments: "About 400 miles between the west end of the track and Red Rock or Nipigon - 66 miles from Port Arthur - had to be passed by a constantly varying process of embarking and disembarking guns and stores from flat cars to country team sleighs, and vice-versa. There were 16 operations of this kind in cold weather and deep snow. On starting from the west end of the track on the night of 30th of march the roads were found so bad that it took the guns 17 hours to do the distance (30 miles) to Magpie Camp. On from there to the east end of the track by team sleighs and marching 23 miles further on; on flat cars (uncovered and open) 80 miles, with thermometer at 50 degrees below zero. Heron Harbor, Port Munro, McKeller's Bay, Jackfish, McKay's Harbor were passed by alternate flat cars on construction tracks and in teaming in fearful weather round the north shore of Lake Superior. Nipigon or Red Rock was reached on the evening of 3rd April.

The men had had no sleep for four nights." The C.P. R. construction camps, however, had supplied them with copious draughts of coffee and hot food.

Van Horne fulfilled his promise and got the money he needed. In the end it took twelve million dollars to build the two hundred miles of difficult North Shore track. Gradually fill-ins replaced the long timbered trestles that were required in so many places over otherwise impossible terrain. Building came -to an end. Transcontinental trains sped past little Peninsula - and few passengers then or now dreamed of the drama that the high promontory, the Peninsula proper, had witnessed so recently. Gradually all traces of the railroad town died away. Only a small railroad station - one of two of the original stations still extant - a water tower, a post office, and a very few houses remained.

Just before World War I the place was examined as a possible coaling station, but the idea was given up in favor of Jackfish. After the war a black granite quarry was opened, but it closed down during the depression. Finally, during World War II, the present building program of the Marathon Corporation was begun and almost overnight the busy construction scenes of 1885 were reenacted. This time, however, there will be no reversion to the wilderness in a few years’ time.

Time Line

The Timeline was taken from rough notes found in the museum.  Dates are currently being looked at for accuracy.  Please contact us with any errors.

1870 Surveying for the Railroad underway Lake Superior, Fort Albany and Long Lake Railroad depicted on early maps

1880s CPR construction. 12,000 men, 5000 horses and no police force. “Peninsula” (now Marathon) was constructed as a “whistle stop” watering station for the steam locomotives. Water tower was built on a hill to fill the on-board tanks. Peninsula remained in action until mid 1940s

1917 May 9th, Great Lakes Paper Company acquires the timber concession on the Big Pic River

1931 Ontario Highway Construction Company assembles Camp 12 at Angler Ontario. It is one of the employment projects in the 1930's to provide work for the unemployed. It was to construct sections of the TransCanada Highway. The road bed can be seen along the existing Hwy. 17 west of Marathon.

1933 The Directors of Marathon Paper Mills began the Planning and design for the development of Marathon; the first design and layout of the mill and townsite was started in two small rooms over the Citizens' State Bank of Ontonagon, Michigan; there were only two employees designing and engineering the development up to 1944; that ground was broken in April 1944; that the development was considered a possible war industry.

1936 Marathon took steps to investigate Canadian woods operations to secure spruce pulpwood cutting rights in the Province of Ontario, Canada. The General Timber Company Limited removed the first timber from Canadian Limits in the spring of 1936.

1937 Marathon, through the General Timber Company Limited, secured allotment of 2,509 square miles of timberland located along the Pic River in Ontario. The contract provided for the building of a bleached sulphate pulp mill in Canada. General Timber Company, the Canadian Branch of Marathon Paper Mills, begins logging on the lower limits of the Big Pic Timber Concession. W.E.Mair surveys Jellicoe Cove, (Peninsula Harbour). D.C. Everest plans for a Sulphate Mill in Canada

1938 Marathon acquired the General Timber Company Limited, Port Arthur, Canada. General Timber had a concession of 2,509 square miles of spruce, balsam and other timber located in Ontario. Two objectives in obtaining Canadian cutting rights were to secure a long time supply of spruce wood for the Rothschild pulp mill and also to secure a cheap and continous supply of high grade wood from which to secure the highest grade of bleached sulphate pulp possible to produce from a pulp mill to be built within the Province of Ontario on Lake Superior. This district is noted for its purity of water and is so situated that it insured cheap transportation costs to the Rothschild, Menasha, and Ashland plants and will provide a high grade bleached sulphate pulp for the Central West Pulp market on a comparatively low delivered cost.

1940 July 1940 orders were given to construct 2 new Prisoners of War camps, one at Neys the other at Angler, both had the capacity of 600 prisoners. These camps opened in July of 1941

1943 Our population was 18. On May 18, 1943 the name of General Timber Company Limited was changed to Marathon Paper Mills of Canada Limited. June marked the first visit of the Foundation Company Engineering group.

1944 April Ground was broken for the Mill construction site. May 18, 1944 Construction commenced on the townsite at Ontario, called Peninsula, later Everest and finally Marathon. June 7, 1944 Contract was let for the construction of the plant and construction got underway in July of 1944. May Construction workers living in tents Aug 26, 3RD Street was carved out of the wilderness to become Whitman Court Prisoners of War working at the sawmill at Camp 35 on the Pic River

1945 Town temporarily called “Everest” Spring melt caused the foundation of mill to sink into ground (because of beach sand). Construction was halted and foundation torn down. Blasting of Peninsula Mountain began for better footing hold. Population explosion after the war brought veterans and their families to new lives. Increase in CPR employees. Marathon population about 2500. Approximately 1300 men employed at the mill.

1946 December 31, 1946 Marathon became officially known as " The Improvement DIstrict of Marathon" Train station opened in Marathon replacing the one at Peninsula. April 23 first pulp wood up the jack ladder Sept 20 First digester cooked Chapples Store opened October First bale of pulp off the line at 10:30 PM, Oct 15. Bales are 500lbs each. New mill building completed. Sulphate pulp shipped via railway cars to US market Marathon Police Department and Fire Station building erected (on Stevens Ave, below Everest Hotel) Strand Theatre construction commenced July 20 Recreation Hall construction commenced July 20

1947 Public Library opened in Rec. Hall building on Winton St. 1000 books donated by residents to start it up. The Strand Theatre opened In June, Rec Hall officially opened

1948 Outdoor pool built by volunteers Bus service begins. Takes workers to and from mill, public to hospital and Chapples Groups formed:Ballet and Tap; Marathon Guides and Brownies; Downhill Ski Club; Marathon Scouts and Cubs; Marathon Figure Skating Club. First skating on outdoor rink

1948 Outdoor pool built by volunteers Bus service begins. Takes workers to and from mill, public to hospital and Chapples Groups formed:Ballet and Tap; Marathon Guides and Brownies; Downhill Ski Club; Marathon Scouts and Cubs; Marathon Figure Skating Club. First skating on outdoor rink

1949 Street lights installed November 6th,

1951 Peninsula Golf Course construction commences

1953 August 10, the highway is opened between Marathon and Terrace Bay

1954 Police Station Built Marathon High School construction started

1955 July 6, 1955 New Post Office is Opened

1957 The Town is connected to the Ontario Hydro electric grid School built on Stevens Ave.

1958 Marathon's streets are paved.

1960 Knights of Columbus begins at 10:30 AM, September 17 the highway between Marathon and Sault Ste. Marie was opened

1970 Marathon becomes a Township – replacing Improvement District of Marathon

1980 Population 2300

1982 July 17, 1982 CFNO became live after testing for three days. "93.1" Voice of North Superior, goes live.

1983 American Can. Canada sold to James River Corp. Pukaskwa National Park officially opened Last major River Drive 24 hour helicopter approved for Marathon Hospital

1984 Hemlo Gold explorations discover gold veins east of Marathon. Construction of three new mines begins. First flight to Marathon – Austin Airways Marathon's first overseas ship of the season docks here for bales of pulp Del Earle Park opens, named after founder. Marathon Centre Mall begins construction

1985 Marathon Plaza Mall opens September 6th Teck-Corona mines officially opened. May 29th Teck-Corona pours gold at Hemlo Gold Mines

1987 Water Tower dismantled – underground reservoir built Catholic School board begins construction of Holy Saviour School/École St. Sauveur Confederation College sets up office 1987 Crimestoppers started

1988 Marathon builds ski slopes and Visitor Information Centre New High School and Public Schools built

1985-1990s Population of Marathon expands to nearly 6000 – miners, pulp mill workers and CPR employees.

2000 Population 4700

2009 Last bale of Pulp produced Feb 28, 2009 Total production for the mill site 8,964,836 BADMT Marathon Pulp Mill shuts down, jobs are lost

2013 Population 4400

2014 Demolition of the Marathon Mill commences, completion set for 2015 Marathon Curling Club closes it's doors

2016 D & H Foods closes ​Dec 16 Everest Hotel burns to the ground Trinity Anglican Church closes and is sold

2017 Demolition and Stabilization of the Pulp Mill site schedules to be completed by June.

2019 November, Mill effluent site cleanup complete. Construction camp for Vallard construction begins on the Stevens Avenue School property.

2020 March 20 Toronto Dominion removes ATM from the former TD bank Lobby.

Early Facts

Camp 100 (Camp W) Neys opened January 13, 1941 and closed on June, 13 1942. All the German prisoners were transferred to Ozada, B. C.. Neys then reopened as a Hostel for Japanese-Canadians uprooted from British Columbia.

  • 242 Officers and 200 other ranks arrived form the United Kingdom, January 31, 1941

  • 134 other ranks transferred to Espanola (camp 21) March 17, 1941. The other ranks remaining at Neys were employed as orderlies, batmen, cooks, etc. to the officers.

  • Approximately 650 civilian internees arrived from Monteith on Nov 26, 1941

  • There were other "Camps" in the area, Camp 70, 72, 73, 74, 76, 76b, 77, 90, 93, 95 all in the vicinity of the Little Pic River.

  • There were two school houses in Camp 72, "Forestview" Schools. They became School Section #1 Pic River Concession of Ontario.

  • Prisoners of War at Neys also worked for General Timber Company on the PIc River at Camp 34,35,& 37 on the Big Pic Concession.

  • Japanese-Canadians worked for the Pigeon Timber Company on the little Pic River during their time at Neys.

  • Neys was the largest of the "Hostels" or dispersal sites. Angler was opened in 1946 to receive the overflow from Neys. Up to 700 Japanese-Canadians were held at Angler, more at Neys.

  • The Neys Hostel school opened on September 23, 1946 with 135 pupils in the eight grades.

There were other German POW camps north of Neys along the road to Kallila Lake. These were also Pigeon Timber bush camps at one time. One of these camps was designated as a "black camp", where dissenting German prisoners were held. There were guards here and there was an attempted escape from one of these camps which resulted in one of the escapees being shot as he ran down the road in the moonlight. His comrade surrendered at the sound of the warning shot.

 Angler POW site was a Ontario Highway Construction Camp, No. 12. In July 1931 the Government of Ontario announced a plan to provide work for the unemployed in the form of a section of the TransCanada Highway. Angler was one of those camps. In July of 1940 orders were given to construct 2 new camps, one at Neys and one at Angler. Both were designed to have a capacity of 600 prisoners.

The Angler complex lies within the Municipal boundary of the Township of Marathon.

 Angler had a compliment of 559 German Prisoners of War on Friday April 18, 1941. Angler was closed on June 13, 1942. A week lat6er the first group of exiled Japanese-Canadians entered the the camp. Soon to be over 700 in total.

Branch Camps in the area, Hemlo, Regan, with camps 7, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, and 31.

To learn more, contact or come visit us!

Contact Us

25 Stevens Ave.

Marathon ON, P0T2E0

Box 728

  • Facebook

Marathon & District Historical Society Museum 

807-232-5555

 

© 2026 by Marathon & District Historical Society. Powered and secured by Wix

 

bottom of page