Camp 100 (Camp W) Neys opened January 13, 1941 and closed on
June, 13 1942. All the German prisoners were transferred to Ozada, B. C.. Neys then reopened as a Hostel for
Japanese-Canadians uprooted from British Columbia.
242 Officers and 200 other ranks arrived form the United Kingdom, January 31,
134 other ranks transferred to Espanola (camp 21) March 17, 1941. The other ranks
remaining at Neys were employed as orderlies, batmen, cooks, etc. to the officers.
Approximately 650 civilian internees arrived from Monteith on Nov 26,
There were other "Camps" in the area, Camp 70, 72, 73, 74, 76, 76b, 77, 90,
93, 95 all in the vicinity of the Little Pic River.
There were two school houses in Camp 72, "Forestview" Schools. They became School
Section #1 Pic River Concession of Ontario.
Prisoners of War at Neys also worked for General Timber Company on the PIc River
at Camp 34,35,& 37 on the Big Pic Concession.
Japanese-Canadians worked for the Pigeon Timber Company on the little Pic River
during their time at Neys.
Neys was the largest of the "Hostels" or dispersal sites. Angler was opened in
1946 to receive the overflow from Neys.Up to 700 Japanese-Canadians were held at Angler, more at Neys.
The Neys Hostel school opened on September 23, 1946 with 135 pupils in the eight
There were other German POW camps north of Neys along the road to Kallila Lake.
These were also Pigeon Timber bush camps at one time. One of these camps
was desiginated as a "black camp", where dissenting German prisonerswere held. There were guards here and there was
an attempted escape from one of these camps which resulted in one of the escapees being shot as he ran down the
road in the moonlight. His comrade surrendered at the sound of the warning shot.
Angler POW site was a Ontario Highway
Construction Camp, No. 12. In July 1931 the Government of Ontario announced a plan to provide work for the
unemployed in the form of a section of the TransCanada Highway. Angler was one of those camps. In July of 1940
orders were given to construct 2 new camps, one at Neys and one at Angler. Both were designed to have a capacity of
Angler complex lies within the Municipal boundry of the Township of Marathon.
Angler had a compliment of 559 German Prisoners of War on Friday April 18, 1941. Angler was
closed on June 13, 1942. A week lat6er the first group of exiled Japanese-Canadians entered the the camp. Soon to
be over 700 in total.
Camps in the area, Hemlo, Regan, with camps 7, 20,22,23,24,25,&31.